Germany (introduction)

On Tuesday, Feb. 2, we will start looking around the world. I've decided to start with Germany for a variety of reasons (some appropriate, some selfish). On the selfish bit, I find that over the last five or so years teaching this course in this manner, I find that my students are most interested in popular culture, gender issues, racial issues, media, and then I have to cover economics to some extent. Usually, classes choose Africa or Asia, finding these places exotic. I rarely get to finish the world traveling, and Europe is rarely selected (with Australia) hardly ever chosen. This class isn't the norm.

Most of you are sick now to death of pop culture (you say), yet you spend 24/7 there. You are attached to technology in a way that fascinates and frightens your older US citizens. You are the blaise, non-committed generation, so they say. Part of this is your age. You are optimistic, yet unaware. And yes, I'm describing myself also at your age. It's all a stereotype. I often find that your peers are quick to give up. When things get difficult you collapse into a moody sulk--or pretend that it doesn't really matter. You cannot focus. Have trouble committing to promises or expectations. You find it difficult to communicate face-to-face. So it goes. Teens from all ages have been similar and I suppose it's the lot of older people to look down from their ancient chairs and say...it's so much worse than it was when I was young... Illusion, all. Perhaps the greater problem is our disconnection with the world. Government, sexuality, identity, hegemony--it doesn't matter. We cannot find a proper mask to wear until we understand how very insignificant we really are. And we are. But don't despair. There's no point in it. It's all illusion, say the Buddhists. You know where I'm coming from then. The rest is silence.

But you can't expect silence from me. Not yet. So let's travel. I picked Germany because just before the war they were in a similar predicament we now find ourselves. Disillusionment. Get to know it. But what I really want to say, if anyone is really reading what I post on this page, is that we cannot truly understand ourselves until we understand others. Germans have been painted as the "bad guys" for several decades now. Yet, German culture just seems to have a knack for picking itself up and efficiently going about its business without worrying about its past. Perhaps something we Americans can learn from.

Well, let's go about it. What you will find above is a lot of information. I'm doing this for you, of course. But I'm also developing a curriculum that I haven't really touched for several years. I'm interested. You're just coming along with me. There's a lot to do and respond to. Let's get moving.

Comments

hayley said…
Just so you don't feel like you're posting these things into obvlion, I read this creative post of yours and found it quite interesting...an insight into the brain of Mr. Craddock (nothing to scoff at) lol--or should I not say "lol" for fear of being lumped with the rest of my dull, technologically distracted generation? haha...I'm kidding. mostly..

Popular posts from this blog

The Namesake Analysis/Discussion Chp. 1 & 2; How It Feels To Be Colored Me

Clash of the Titans (Conclusion); Creation Myths

Wilderness Tips - Examination & Analysis